Thursday, January 06, 2005

Racing, Racers, and Marketing

I decided to take a little time and write about something that is growing in popularity. I am very attracted to those who enjoy "speed," I do not mean the drug, but rather the velocity of an automobile, boat, motorcycle or any type of mechanical device. As such, I like being around people who like velocity as well, and who have a need for speed. This addiction is being taken to a level that the average Joe would not take it, and as such the growth of car racing. Let's take 2 people I know very well, Alex* races Ferraris, and Diego races BMWs. This is a sport that seems to be growing at tremendous speeds. (no pun intended :-) I see how obsessive this sport can be, and I started to think .. why? It intrigues me from a marketing perspective. My experience of racing is as I see it through my friends.. as an outsider I see them with their "babies" or "race-cars."

The way I see it, owning and riding a race-car can be a double-sided visceral experience. It goes beyond the freedom of zooming untethered along a windy stretch of open road. And for many, the race-car itself evokes fascination and rapture. After all, it's hard to find another product category where customers tattoo their bodies with the name of their car, where racers personify their cars and refer to them as "she," "my baby" and other loving terms.

This intense level of loyalty is at the heart of racing. I wonder why there has not been an accelerated marketing efforts to boost this small but passionate share of the U.S. amateur racing scene. Renowned for its exciting feeling of freedom and danger there's a critical opportunity to initiate a new member into the tribe known as "Racer" and keep him or her happy there for many years and miles to come. :-) So when I look at Alex and Diego and I start to think, what defines a racer? and I came up with the following, "It's a person who has a strong passion to differentiate himself and to partake in a unique culture of individuals." Is this a bit like being an "entrepreneur?" ;-)

From a marketing standpoint I see the "emotional connection" to be the most important. Clubs across the country organize their own series, and create racing seasons, as well as rallies. As I see it with my brief encounter with some of the racers I have witnessed - these guys (it's interesting to see that females are pretty much non-existent in this world) race cars largely for four reasons -- either pride of ownership and personal challenge, controllable risk and danger, insatiable competitive streak, or social companionship. But of course, since I am not a member of the racing 'tribe' or at least yet, I see this as an outsider looking in.

10 Comments:

Blogger Graham Glass said...

Hi Pilar,

A car is one of the most visible and expensive things that is associated with its owner. Because of this, many owners wish their car to exhibit the same kind of attributes that they see themselves as having.

It's a lot like that old pyschological question "what is your favorite animal?" in which people tend to pick an animal that is most like themselves. So if you pick, say, a dolphin, you might see yourself as intelligent, playful and sleek, whereas if you pick a three-toed sloth, you probably have personality issues ;-)

Anyhow, my bet is that many people who own a fast car see themselves as efficient, fast-maneuvering, leading-edge, sleek, and forward-thinking as well as classic thrill-seekers. These kinds of people tend to enjoy being around other people of the same ilk, as well as enjoying the experience of their cars operating at maximum performance (as opposed to grinding down 66), hence the popularity of race clubs.

Thinking about getting a fast car of your own?

Cheers,
Graham

Thu Jan 06, 02:11:00 PM  
Blogger harvey said...

Horse racing tips for professional lay bettinghorse

Sun Oct 02, 05:46:00 AM  
Blogger Nosey said...

Horse racing tips for professional lay bettingbetting exchange tactic

Mon Oct 03, 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hi, I was just looking around some blogs and checking different templates for ideas. Good blog with a nice template. I can start my own blog on ebooks thanks to your blog. I will visit weekly by the way. Like your ideas.

Thu Oct 06, 04:38:00 AM  
Blogger Entre_Pilar said...

Thank you QS for your kind comments. Stop by anytime, I will take a peek at your blog. :-) WELCOME to the Blogging world.

Thu Oct 06, 11:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on the lcdtv in the back of my Hummer.

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

Sat Oct 15, 05:56:00 PM  
Blogger Nosey said...

Hi Found you while blog surfing I have a blog too about horse racing stop by some time racing Not a related site but may be of interest

Thu Oct 20, 05:14:00 AM  
Blogger Betfair Bettor said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Horse Racing and Sports site. It pretty much covers very related stuff to you.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Fri Oct 21, 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mi Michigan House Cleaning said...

Awesome blog. I'm loving the site and I have to
return there soon! Going online, when I have the time,
I look for blogs close to your work!
I wish I was like you, but I'll go and peep your ut utah house cleaning blog.

Mon Feb 06, 12:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, ##NAME##, there are plentyof blogs about, and lots don't seem to make much sense, so it was glad to see yours. Enjoyed it. Best, John ##LINK##

Thu Mar 09, 01:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home